The adjective encryption refers to what whose writing is developed with figures : that is, with signs that are used for the representation of numbers or that can only be understood when the corresponding key is known.
Encryption is a common method in cryptography (the technique of writing messages in key ). What encryption means, in this case, is a coding of the content of the message, protecting it. In this way, only those who know the key to their decoding can understand the content.
Cryptography, in particular, appeals to a encryption algorithm that makes the incomprehensible message and one key that allows, precisely, to understand it. He plane text , through the encryption process, it becomes a cryptogram (encrypted text ).
According to how the algorithm is used, it is possible to differentiate between the block encryption (the message is divided into blocks of equal length and then proceeds to encryption) and the flow encryption (bit to bit). According to the properties, on the other hand, there is talk of encryption with isolated key , identity based encryption , malleable encryption , secure forward encryption , deniable encryption and others.
However, the list of encryption types that exists is really wide:
- IDEA encryption, which is based on the existence of eight rounds of identical encryption except for the subkeys used.
- RSA encryption, characterized in that the user has two encryption keys: one that is public and one that is private.
- Blowfish encryption, which comes to use decimals of "pi".
- Pigpen encryption, which consists of monoalphabetic substitution in various ways. It is necessary to expose in this sense that it was very used by the Templars at the time of being able to watch over the safety of all the pilgrims who went towards the Holy Land.
-Cesar encryption. It receives this name because it was Julio César who used it. It consists of moving three spaces to the right the characters of the clear text.
- Vernam encryption, which has this name because it was created by the engineer Gilbert Sandford Vernam in the early stages of the twentieth century. That worked for the company AT&T Bell Labs and formed this system that consisted of combining a random data stream of the same size to shape what was an encrypted text.
In addition to all of the above, we have to emphasize that during the Second World War a machine called Enigma was shaped that could be used both to perform message encryption and to decrypt them. It was patented in 1918 by a German company although it was during the aforementioned war conflict when it achieved its era of greatest splendor.
In the field of music , the use of signs for the expression of a sound phenomenon is called encryption. In other words, encryption involves using letters or numbers instead of musical notes. He English encryption (also know as american encryption or Anglo Saxon encryption ), for example, uses the following equivalences between letters and notes: A = The, B = Yes, C = Do, D = Re, E = Mi, F = Fa and G = Sun.